Thursday, August 16, 2007

Good groceries: Lunch, latte & dinner too

Today at lunchtime Dave and I went to the grocery store. We'd run out of a few essentials, most notably coffee, so we decided to do a little noontime shopping and check out the deli offerings at the newly remodeled and lavishly expanded Dillons store near our house.

We enjoyed good sandwiches and soup in the deli, and then picked up some salmon and avocado for dinner (and coffee for breakfast). I am loving this refurbished grocery store. It's a store that screams "food should be beautiful, aisles should be wide, many, many clerks should be tripping over themselves to help you, and you should shop here instead of WalMart." I love walking into a sparkling clean grocery store where I can do my banking, get a prescription filled, have easy access (even in Kansas) to a liquor store, enjoy a Starbucks latte, buy sushi and beautiful fruits and vegetables, iPod accessories, patio furniture, anything else I want, and run into friends every time I set foot in the place. It's a store that makes me happy.

Tonight for dinner, we had salmon grilled in foil, avocado slices, corn and tomato salad (with some rice thrown in) and cantaloupe we bought Saturday -- not at Dillons, but at the farmer's market. This time of year, perfect Kansas cantaloupe is an excellent complement to anything you might pick up for dinner at the grocery store, or anywhere else.

No comments: