Thursday, August 2, 2007

Farmers market offers one-stop shopping

Last night, I came home, started dinner, the phone rang and I had to head back to work . Such is life in the news business. Fortunately, I was planning simple fare for supper-- I had just put a steak into a bag with some bottled 30-minute marinade, cleaned up some green beans to steam and prepared corn for the grill. By the time I got home to stay, we had dinner ready in about 10 minutes.

Again, everything on the menu was from the farmers' market. I've been buying meat at the market every week; chicken, pork chops, sausage, steaks, roasts, all USDA-approved, all free of hormones and antibiotics. (I bought eggs out there too this week.) Vendors sell their meat frozen, so I can thaw what I need throughout the week. Though I don't go to the market expecting bargains, the flat iron steak I cooked last night was $6 a pound, same as Dillon's, and the chicken breasts I picked up Saturday seemed to be priced at about what I'd pay at the grocery store. I love buying from local vendors who raise their own livestock. A couple vendors sell venison and buffalo meat; I may have to try some of that before the summer is over.

No comments: