Sunday, March 9, 2008

Look mom, no iodine: Cranberry orzo salad

We have a friend, Mike, who is being treated for thyroid cancer. For the next few days he needs to be on a low-iodine diet. My impulse when someone is sick is to take them something to eat, so I was grateful when Chris, one of the women at book group, shared some of her own experience with this illness (check out her blog entry on the topic)-- and a good link for recipes at http://www.thyca.org/. She recommended an orzo salad that I made today. It turned out so nicely that I think I will make this again and again. I didn't add any salt, although the Web site version says it's OK to used the non-iodized variety. I left a container of this, along with a card and the recipe, on Mike's porch this afternoon.

Orzo salad with cranberries

1 16-ounce box orzo pasta
1 cup dried cranberries
1 large diced red onion
1 red pepper, diced
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain, mix with remaining ingredients. Serve warm or at room temperature.

2 comments:

Chris said...

So glad the info I sent you was helpful! I love that salad. Just seeing your picture makes me want to drive to the grocery store right now and buy the ingredients. Since it's after 10, maybe I'll just wait until tomorrow.

Stefanie K. said...

I've never posted, and know this is a very old post...but wanted to share that I make this salad SO OFTEN for potlucks and people always want the recipe. It's so great. Thank you for sharing it :)