Saturday, July 21, 2007

Grilled corn makes for cool salad on a hot day

We've been eating grilled Kansas corn on the cob almost every day lately. Today I mixed it up a little (the corn), with fresh-picked garden tomatoes (purchased today at the farmers' market), beans, a little cayenne pepper and some chopped onion to make a colorful salad to have with dinner tonight.

The temperature hit 100 degrees in Wichita today, at least according to our front yard thermometer, so I decided that if I needed grilled corn in the middle of the day to go into this whim of a side dish, I owed it to Dave to grill it myself. (After all, he'd already done outdoor duty mowing the lawn.) So I lit the grill and stayed outside to turn my corn in the summer heat while Dave drove off to do errands. I was only too happy to get inside my air-conditioned kitchen to finish making this salad. Grilling the corn was worth it, though. I love how it tastes. (Note to self: Next time we grill corn for dinner in the relative cool of the evening, throw on a few extra ears to use the next day for whatever I might feel like doing.)

Grilled corn, tomato and two-bean salad

Five ears of fresh corn, husked
2 medium-size garden tomatoes, chopped
2 small onions, finely diced
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-ounce black beans, drained and rinsed
Juice from three lemons
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (a dash of Tabasco would work too.)
4 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

Brush corn with a little olive oil. Grill for 10-15 minutes, turning often, 'til beautifully browned. Let cool. Use a sharp knife to cut corn from husks into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk lemon juice and the 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large bowl. Add corn and all remaining ingredients. Stir with wooden spoon . Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

No comments: