Sunday, August 5, 2007

Mmm, peach-blueberry crepes for breakfast

One of the things I love best about having a party is enjoying leftovers the next day. This morning we have just enough of last night's peach-blueberry crepes to serve as a lovely breakfast. Crepes are a great make-ahead food. You can cook them up, refrigerate until needed or freeze them.

To construct my dessert, I made a dozen crepes and filling ahead of time, then while decaf was brewing for our guests, I rolled the filling into the crepes and placed them side-by-side in a single layer in a buttered 9-by-13-baking dish. I heated my dessert for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees, and served with sifted powdered sugar and whipped cream.

And this morning I can heat what's left in the oven again for breakfast.

Sweet crepes

1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 large eggs
1/2 stick melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar

Whisk well in a mixing bowl. Over medium-high heat, melt a teaspoon of butter in a crepe pan. Remove pan from heat, pour in about 1/2 cup butter, tilting pan to cover entire bottom with a very thin layer of batter. Pour any excess back into mixing bowl. Return to heat, cook for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, til edges are slightly browned. Carefully turn with a stainless steel spatula. Cook for 1 minute more. Remove from pan, stack on a plate covered with waxed paper. Repeat the drill 'til batter is used up, stacking waxed paper on top of each cooked crepe, adding butter to pan as needed. Cover stack with plastic wrap, refrigerate 'til needed. (Adapted from Joy of Cooking, 75th Anniversary edition. )

Peach-blueberry compote

In a heavy saucepan, mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water. Add four cups fresh sliced peaches and 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until thickened and bubbly. Refrigerate until ready to use. To fill crepes, use 3-4 tablespoons per crepe. This is also good on ice cream or French toast.

2 comments:

Lori said...

I also love preparing and eating crepes, though I haven't made them in years. You have inspired me to do it again soon. Can't wait to hear more about your trip to France. First time?

Tess Knadler said...

First time for Dave, first time in 25 years for me. I lived in France for a year when I was in college. Gained a few pounds during that year, eating camembert, brie, pate, croissants, baguettes, pain au chocolat, drinking lots of cheap, excellent wine. I can't wait to get back!