Saturday, October 20, 2007

Shop-window dessert: Strawberry tart

Yesterday I made a beautiful fresh strawberry tart. Here's all you need to know: Fill a baked pie crust with two pounds whole, cleaned strawberries (with the tops trimmed off). Melt 1/2 cup strawberry jam in a small saucepan, and brush the melted jam evenly over the strawberries. Refrigerate for an hour or so, et voila. Dessert.

If you'd like to bake a cookie-like brown-sugar-almond crust for this, buy "My French Kitchen" and look up the recipe for "Tarte aux Fraises." Sorry, but I don't feel right sharing yet another recipe from this great little cookbook on my blog. (Otherwise, I could fill my blog with all 120 recipes from this book within the next few months!) This crust is sweet and crisp, a perfect compliment to the strawberries. To make this, I bought an 11-inchWilton tart pan with a removable bottom; it's shallower than the pie pan I picked up in Paris. Both are fun to use, and I like the fluted, pastry-shop edges these create.

No comments: