Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Prepwork makes for easy eggplant dish

My poor cats. Whenever I fry anything, I set off the smoke alarm in my kitchen. This upsets them a great deal. They're both in hiding now-- I've just fried some eggplant slices during my lunch hour to have for dinner tonight. (Yes, it has been a big summer for eggplant at our house. I'm a zealous convert now that I've figured out how to cook this stuff.)

Instead of doing a fullblown baked eggplant parmesan, I'll store the fried rounds in the fridge 'til I get home later. For dinner, I'll put them onto a cookie sheet and top them each with grated mozzarella and a few tablespoons tomato sauce, and broil them til the cheese melts.

Here's how I cooked the eggplant. I took out three cereal bowls. In one, I put about 3/4 cup of flour. In the next, two beaten eggs. In the third, a cup or so of seasoned bread crumbs. I dredged each eggplant slice in flour, eggs, then crumbs, and put them into a skillet with hot olive oil. I fried for three minutes per side. Set a timer to do this. The secret to perfect panfrying is get the oil good and hot before putting whatever you've breaded into the pan, and then resisting the temptation to poke and push and flip everything over too soon.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I agree on the frying technique. But it's hard not to poke and prod when the kitchen is turning all smoky. I used my well-seasoned cast iron skillet for this task. It never fails me.