Monday, July 30, 2007

Expanding our universe: Spaghetti squash

I've been adding new elements to our food universe this summer, with good results. First eggplant, which I've cooked twice quite successfully in the last two weeks. And most recently, spaghetti squash. This is something I've never cooked before, and I bought three Saturday morning at the farmers' market, sort of by mistake. (I thought I had a recipe that called for this, and it turned out I needed butternut squash instead. I'll put that dish off 'til another day.)

The best way to stretch as a cook is just to buy something that's unfamiliar and figure out what to do with it. I asked around and looked up a few recipes, and tonight prepared a nice side dish of spaghetti squash with sauteed garlic, fresh basil and parmesan. It was great.

Lori Buselt at work told me how to cook the squash; she said to just cut one in half, spoon out the seeds, and place the halves cut-side-down in a baking dish filled with about an inch of water. I baked this for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees. I then used a fork to scoop out the squash so it formed spaghetti-like strands. While the squash was cooking, I browned 2 cloves garlic in about 2 tablespoons olive oil, and added about two tablespoons fresh diced basil. I stirred this into the pasta-like strands of squash. Then I topped generously with freshly grated parmesan cheese. It was yummy. We had it with grilled beef brats (also from the farmers' market) and a very nice eggplant and tomato salad I had made for yesterday's dinner party.

I still have two squash left. I may cook up a little marinara to top those off for dinner tomorrow.

3 comments:

Lori said...

This sounds lovely. I actually like spaghetti squash quite a bit. I think it has good flavor and great texture. And don't you love the way it separates into spaghetti strands once it's cooked? Your recipe sounds perfect for a summer night.

Anonymous said...

So glad those baking suggestions I gave you worked! It's been too long since I've had spaghetti or butternut squash (although I much prefer the latter). Can't wait to see the recipe for that variety.

Tess Knadler said...

Thanks, Lori. Your idea about seasoning with a little olive oil and parmesan was delish. And the cooking method was perfect.