Thursday, August 9, 2007

Fruit with my spinach; I'm good with that

It's hot in Wichita now, too hot to grill, too hot to turn on the oven. 100 degrees. What better time to mix up a salad for dinner, heaped with every fresh ingredient I can think of?

Dave and I have a disagreement when it comes to green salad. I like adding pieces of fruit to the mix-- bites of oranges, grapes, strawberries, sliced apples. He's not big on combining sweet stuff with carrots, spinach, avocado, radishes. He said tonight I might as well top my salad off with maple syrup or chocolate sauce. Very funny. (A spritz of vinaigrette was just perfect, of course.)

I took my sister's advice and used an egg slicer to slice my strawberries. It works perfectly. And you can use the same handy gadget to slice a hard-cooked egg to throw onto the same plate.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I'm with you on this one. One of my favorite summer salads includes spinach, strawberries, blueberries, Mandarin oranges, walnuts and feta cheese, all topped with balsamic vinaigrette.