Friday, August 3, 2007

Egg salad calls for real mayo and a bit of crunch

Made myself an egg salad sandwich for lunch today, with farmers' market eggs and a bit of fresh sliced red pepper for a bit of requisite crunch. Dave can make his own sandwich if he wants one-- he favors Miracle Whip, and I will not go there. For me, tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad all call for real mayo (and homemade bread.) To make perfect egg salad, mash up two hard-cooked eggs with a shake of salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons mayonnaise. Lite mayo is fine. Miracle Whip is not.

4 comments:

Denise said...

I LOVE egg salad. Mom made it for me as a kid but I think she put mustard in it, which made it bright yellow (but still good.) BTW, hasn't Dave seen those commercials that glorify real mayo as health food and paint "sandwich spreads" as chemical death in a jar? By the way, I am with you on that debate.

Lori said...

I'm definitely with you on the debate. I grew up with Miracle Whip. Now, when I taste it, it makes me blanch. It's so nasty to my taste-buds after real mayo.

Dave Knadler said...

I'm saddened to see so many turning away from the goodness that is Miracle Whip.

Have you forgotten that it is both a salad dressing and a sandwich spread? Also, it tastes good just by itself.

Anonymous said...

Miracle Whip by itself?! The only miracle about that is that I didn't lose my dinner just now when I read that. Yuck!