Monday, June 11, 2007

Salmon, foiled again

I love grilling on summer evenings. What a quick way to cook up a healthy dinner after a long day at work. But timing is everything, and with grilling, man, timing everything right can be a crap shoot.

Tonight we grilled salmon, sweet onion slices on skewers and sweet potatoes. A nice, healthy supper. And I steamed some broccoli.

Unfortunately, I overcooked the broccoli, and the skewered onion bites turned out black and charcoal-crunchy. But the sweet potatoes were great, and the salmon was excellent. We'll get everything right next time.

Grilled salmon in foil with sweet potatoes

Here's how I prepared two salmon fillets for easy grilling: I brushed two pretty big pieces of foil with olive oil, placed one salmon fillet on each piece of foil, brushed the salmon with olive oil and sprinkled dried dill on each piece. Then I sliced a sweet onion as thin as I could manage, nearly paper thin, and placed a few onion circles on each fillet. Then I sealed the salmon up, very loosely, in the foil. Dave put those on the grill and cooked the fish on medium heat for about 15 minutes.

With sweet potatoes, I stab each one a few times, wrap each in foil, stab the foil to let out some air and let those cook on the grill at medium heat for about 30-40 minutes.

No comments: