Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Stir-fry chicken with veggies you have on hand

Stir-fry is about the easiest way to cook dinner fast, short of hitting a drive-thru lane. Tonight I cooked up chicken laced with assorted vegetables: carrots, onions, asparagus and broccoli. It doesn't seem right to even write up a recipe, since the secret of quick-hit stir-fry is raiding the fridge and mixing up whatever you can find to add to the mix on any given day.

That said, there are a few tricks to guarantee success. I have an electric wok that works beautifully. I chop up vegetables into separate stacks, and then in some canola oil heat up three shakes of sesame oil. First, I fry carrots, broccoli, onions-- or any veggies that take a little extra time -- for about 4 minutes. Then I add veggies that take less time to cook, such as asparagus or green beans or slices of zucchini. At this point, I add some liquid. Tonight I tossed in about a half cup dry white wine, then covered the wok and let the veggies steam in the wok for about 4 minutes more. (Chicken broth would work too.)

Then I set those veggies aside in a bowl. I then added a bit of extra oil to the wok, let that get good and hot, and then added a clove of pressed garlic and diced pieces of two boneless chicken breasts. I cooked the chicken on high for 3 minutes, then turned the meat and cooked about 3 minutes more, 'til nicely browned. I tossed in the cooked vegetables, added about 3/4 cup of bottled stir-fry sauce, and heated everything together for about a minute. I spooned this onto a platter, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds, and served over rice with a little soy sauce.

Gave Dave a nice break from our summer grilling routine, and dinner was ready about 30 minutes after I got home from the office. A nice, easy and delicious mid-week supper.

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

I would just like to add that I really dislike broccoli. But other than that minor detail, I really like the rest of your site. You might consider addressing some simpler recipes like my personal favorite, Le Peanut Butter est Jelly Sandwich.

Tess Knadler said...

Gabriel, GREAT to hear from you. Yes.. I believe it's beurre de cacahouete, but maybe not. My French is quite rusty.
You dislike broccoli? Hmm, I cannot imagine such a thing.