Wednesday, July 25, 2007

So, when will dinner be ready?

The pressure to get dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less, ideally by 6:30 p.m., when you're feeling rushed after a long day at the office, takes all the joy out of cooking. Obviously, that end-of-the-day panic is a big reason takeout and frozen entrees are staples of the American diet. It's why a lot of people don't bother to cook much at all.

I don't usually get home from work until after 7, and sometimes much later. It is oppressive to think about getting something ready for dinner right away-- quickly quickly-- when I get home.

So, often we don't eat 'til past 8. Last night we had steak and baked potatoes some time after 8:30. If I'm wanting to be creative with some dish, and end up being later than usual getting home, we won't eat 'til 9. I know I couldn't get away with this if I still had kids at home to feed, but for this moment in our lives, it works for us. And I like that cooking is my deal, not Dave's. I don't want to give that up just because I work long hours.

Timesavers for working people who do want to enjoy a home-cooked dinner early in the evening: 1. The slow cooker. With a little planning and few extra minutes in the morning, you can end up with something splendid 10 minutes after you get home. (Salsa chicken takes no time at all...) 2. A wok. Stir-fry is obviously pretty quick, if you shop ahead to make sure you have fresh veggies and easy-to-fry bits of meat or seafood. 3. Leftovers. On the weekends, get creative and cook in mass quantities to provide good meals for days.

But whether you plan ahead or not, turn off the stopwatch that's ticking inside your head while you're getting dinner ready. It pays to enjoy what you're doing and forget what time it is.

No comments: