Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Turkey tenderloin sandwich, fast as I can

Most of the time, I love the recipes in Bon Appetit magazine. They're elegant but in most cases pretty simple. That said, I was struck by the cover photo on the latest edition. It's a picture of a sandwich. A simple BLT at that.

Deceptively simple, it turns out. Reading through the recipe, I realized the photo didn't quite convey how complicated this sandwich really is. It requires cooking pancetta slices for six minutes, then soaking tomato slices with basil, oregano, olive oil and fleur de sel for 30 minutes to an hour, and layering with arugula and burrata cheese on toasted bread. Sounds good, and it's not complicated, but as much as I like to cook, I draw the line at spending up to an hour making a sandwich.

Here's the gourmet sandwich I prepared in five minutes for my lunch today: Thin-sliced grilled turkey tenderloin (left over from dinner last night. I tell you, turkey tenderloin is a great summer grilling option) heated in the microwave with a few crumbles of gorgonzola, topped with fresh tomato slices, a little fresh basil, a little light mayo and Dijon mustard. On my homemade wheat bread-- all I really need for a gourmet sandwich. It was delightful. And it didn't eat up my lunch hour.

No comments: