Sunday, July 15, 2007

Broiled tomatoes with basil and parmesan

Tonight our dinner was all farmers' market fare: beef bratwurst, corn and tomatoes that I bought yesterday morning. Dave grilled the corn and brats, but to prepare the tomatoes, I dug out a recipe from "Family Circle Cookbook: New Tastes for New Times," a cookbook I bought in the early '90s and still love. I adapted Family Circle's recipe for "Broiled Tomato Slices Provencale," and here's what I did:

In 2 tablespoons butter melted in a saute pan, I browned 1/4 cup chopped onion with a diced clove of garlic. I cooked this for about three minutes. In my food processor, I chopped half a can of pitted black olives with 3/4 cup bread crumbs and a handful of fresh basil leaves. Then I spooned this into the saute pan with the onion and garlic, and added to this about 1/3 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese. (I like to buy parmesan in blocks and grate only as needed.) I cut my large farmers' market tomatoes into thick slices, put the slices on a cookie sheet, and topped each with a generous helping of the crumb mixture. I put the topped tomatoes under the broiler for about 8 minutes.

The broiled, breaded tomatoes turned out to be a perfect compliment to the sausage and corn Dave cooked up. There is much to love about summer in Kansas.

No comments: