Monday, July 2, 2007

Flat Iron Steak, cumin up

For the Fourth of July, try grilling a flat iron steak. It's billed as a new cut, very tender. We'll see. We're having some for supper tonight once ol' Dave gets home from work to fire up the grill.

I suppose it's kind of backward that I don't know how to start or operate the gas grill. I have no interest; I've got a nice salad made, potatoes cooking, the steak all rubbed down, ready to hand to my man to cook up when he gets in the door after a hard day at the office. Yes, when it comes to grilling, we have an undeniably '50s-era division of labor -- though we share in all other aspects a sane and progressive partnership (and for the record, I nearly always get home from work much later than he does.) I don't care. Here's the rub I made for this steak, the recipe for which was on the package:

Southwest Rub

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespooons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine in a small bowl. Press and rub evenly into steaks before grilling. Grill steak on medium heat for about 4 minutes per side (for medium rare.) Turn occasionally to avoid burning.

Addendum posted after supper: The flat iron steak was excellent. Melt-in-your-mouth tender. And the rub was very good. Check out what Wikipedia reports about this "new" cut of meat. And I managed to buy a one-pound steak that'll provide at least two hearty meals for the two of us for just $6.

1 comment:

Amy D. said...

We used your flat iron steak recipe tonight. Yummy! I also made a Rachel Ray corn salsa (grilled, fresh corn, chopped grape tomoatos, cilantro and lime juice) and we served it on the steak slices. They'll both be new additions to my recipe box, uh, cupboard.