Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Cooking for two? Hash it out

I have no interest in "Cooking -for-two" recipe books aimed at empty nesters. I figure if I order one of these from Amazon, AARP will start sending me even more solicitations than I'm getting now. I'd rather cook up enough for six at a time, knowing that Dave and I can then eat lunches and dinners for two or three days.

Of course, I need to overcome my tendency to forget about leftovers once I've packed them into the fridge. Tonight I done good, throwing three nights worth of leftovers into a pan to create hash-- nothing fancy, but a good way to cook up a decent meal and make use of what we had on hand.

Use-up-the-leftovers Hash

In a skillet over medium-high heat, I browned a diced sweet onion in olive oil with a pressed clove of garlic, added three of yesterday's boiled potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (I always cook up more potatoes than we need at a time), threw in a big, chopped fresh tomato, last night's leftover steak, chopped up with a couple small chunks of a teriyaki beef roast I prepared on Saturday night. To this I added a big handful of chopped fresh basil, and a couple generous shakes of chili sauce. I heated this on the stovetop 'til cooked through. Good eats, and now the fridge is cleaned out.

No comments: