Sunday, July 29, 2007

Got extra dough? Make some rolls

For me, baking whole wheat bread is a thoroughly enjoyable weekend routine. My recipe makes two loaves, so I freeze one and we enjoy the other for several days. (It's rather amazing how many days this bread stays good unrefrigerated in a Ziploc bag-- nearly a week.) However, one problem with my recipe is that the loaves turn out just a tad too big to fit into a one-gallon freezer bag, so I've taken to pulling off a bit of dough before I shape my loaves, to make a few dinner rolls. I end up with loaves of bread just the size I need, and three or four delicious rolls to serve with whatever we're having for dinner.

To form rolls from bread dough, after dough rises first time, pull off a few small balls of dough and roll these by hand into 8-to-10 inch strands. Tie each into a loop knot, tucking one loose end under the roll and the other into the center of the knot. Brush with egg white wash and top with a few poppy seeds. Let rise second time according to recipe directions. I bake these at 350 in my convection oven about 15-20 minutes 'til they're nicely browned. My sandwich loaves bake for at least 15 minutes more. In the convection oven, I can bake the loaves on a top shelf and the rolls on the bottom shelf at the same time.

No comments: