Thursday, July 26, 2007

Food Network tip: Jiffy corn muffin mix

I love the Food Network-- it provides great background noise when I'm cooking. However, yesterday during my lunch hour I was a little appalled when the lovely Giada De Laurentiis (of "Everyday Italian") started off showing how to make spicy Italian cornbread by opening up two boxes of Jiffy muffin mix! Good grief. I have nothing against using a mix in my own kitchen if I want to (though I never do, except when I make this really good holiday pumpkin cake that calls for a yellow cake mix). But can't we expect a little better from our food mentors on TV? Giada went on to throw into the mix chopped up sundried tomatoes, a couple scoops of chili powder, and she suggested throwing in a little creamed corn too. Sounds dandy, but if I try this, I'll start with my own recipe for the cornbread. It's only a smidge more labor-intensive than opening a box of Jiffy.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Unbelievable. I share your outrage. Personally, I'm not above using boxed mixes at home. But on a food network? Sad.

Amy D. said...

Thanks for the recipe. Kyle LOVES corn bread muffins. But sometimes, it's just easier to pull out the box, add an egg and milk and call it good. Having a tried-and-true recipe handy is half the battle in making it from scratch instead.

Tess Knadler said...

A mom of a toddler has my blessing to use a mix anytime she wants!

Antilope said...

Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix - Copy Cat recipe

Makes: 6 muffins.

When a recipe calls for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, here’s a copycat recipe you can make at home.

This recipe is equal to one 8.5 ounce box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix.

Makes 8.5 ounces (equal to 1-box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix) Makes 1-1/2 cups of mix. Makes 6 corn muffins.

INGREDIENTS

2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
3 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Combine flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix well with whisk. Whisk in vegetable oil and mix until dry mixture is smooth and lumps are gone.

2. If another recipe is calling for a box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, add the above mixed ingredients to that recipe.

3. If you wish to make Corn Muffins, continue with instructions below.

4. Preheat oven to 400F. Combine above mixture with egg and milk. Mix well.

Fill muffin tins 1/2 full. Bake 15-20 minutes. Makes 6 muffins.

Tess Knadler said...

Thanks for that recipe, Rusty.

Kerry said...

Thank you, thank you. Just what I was looking for!