Sunday, July 13, 2008

Toss a nice salad with brown rice, beans, peppers

Yesterday I made a piquant bean and rice salad, loosely adapted from "WeightWatchers New Complete Cookbook." I say loosely because I made more than the recipe called for, and forgot to buy cilantro, and didn't use black beans because when I opened the store-brand can of black beans I had on hand-- guess what?-- inside were kidney beans. So buy the cookbook if you want the exact recipe. (It's a good resource, full of inspiring low-calorie recipes.) That said, here's how I made this salad and I have to say, it was wonderful:

Rice, bean and corn salad

2 cups cooked brown rice
1-1/2 cups cooked corn
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
2 celery stalks
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and finely chopped. (The cookbook recommends wearing gloves to avoid irritation. I didn't do this, but I was real careful to wash my hands thoroughly when I was done handling the pepper. Above all, do not rub your eyes when you're working with jalapeƱos.)
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

In a large bowl, combine rice, corn, bell pepper, beans, onion and jalapeno. In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, lime juice and olive oil. Pour dressing over the rice mixture and toss well. Cover. Refrigerate at least two hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'd like to invite you to participate in our July berry recipe contest. All competitors will be placed on our blogroll, and the winner will receive a fun prize! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested. Feel free to check out our blog for more details. (Click on my name in the message header link to visit our blog. :)

Tess Knadler said...

I'm up for the challenge. I'll be cooking up a storm of berries in the next few weeks to come up with something!