Saturday, July 19, 2008

Make healthy coleslaw with fresh berries and pecans

The New York Times recently included cabbage on a list of "The 11 Best Foods You Aren't Eating." Cabbage, the story said, is "loaded with nutrients like sulforaphane, a chemical said to boost cancer-fighting enzymes." I don't know what sulforaphane is, but I'm all for boosting any enzymes that might come in handy. On a related note, I've been trying to think of interesting things to do with berries. So I created this recipe, which calls for cabbage, fresh fruit and fat-free vinaigrette. It's yummy.

I'm marinating chicken in the same raspberry dressing to grill and serve with this salad for supper tonight. Should make for a pretty healthy dinner.

Fruit Coleslaw with Raspberry Dressing

1 10-ounce bag angel hair shredded cabbage
1 cup strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup raspberries
1 cup grapes
1 cup fat-free raspberry vinaigrette (I used Ken's Steak House Fat-Free Raspberry-Pecan dressing)
1/2 cup chopped pecans.

Combine all ingredients. Chill for an hour or until ready to serve.

2 comments:

Linda said...

my husband and I are trying to watch what we eat and lose weight. This recipe looks delish! Had to print it out!

Anonymous said...

Love your veggie-fruit combi. Looks yummy.