Sunday, October 21, 2007

Spice up squash with flavors of India

October is high season for squash. Yesterday I made a chicken and butternut squash stew with curry, cumin and cinnamon. It was quite tasty. I've found it's best to follow the advice of my friend Felicia when using butternut squash-- bake the squash at 350 degrees for 40 minutes to soften it up. Most recipes don't suggest this, but it makes the squash much easier to peel and dice.

I found this recipe in my "Bon Appetit Cookbook." It also happens to be on the Epicurious website. And I overestimated how much squash I'd need, so I have plenty left over. I'm thinking I'll throw the extra into the slow cooker in the morning with browned Italian sausage, white beans, diced onions, garlic, canned tomatoes and spices yet to be determined. I'll report later how that turns out.

No comments: