Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Vive la différence: Salmon in Pinot Noir

Sometimes it pays to take chances in the kitchen. A couple of days ago, I was thumbing through the cookbook I'd just purchased ("My French Kitchen" by Joanne Harris) and decided to prepare her salmon in red wine. I don't usually serve salmon with red wine, much less cook it in an entire bottle of the stuff. But it was really good. And easy too. You start by melting 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a tablespoon of olive oil in a big skillet, then add a finely diced red onion, a chopped clove of garlic and 4 ounces of sliced mushrooms. Saute for 10 minutes.

Then sprinkle in 3 tablespoons flour and mix well (Julia Child says it's very important to cook the flour well before adding liquid to a sauce, so I did...) Then gradually add a 750-ml bottle of Pinot Noir or red Burgundy (I used Pinot Noir), mix 'til smooth and bring to a boil. Add 6 salmon fillets, with skin left on, spooning the wine over them evenly. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Lift out the salmon, keep it warm and bring the wine back to a boil. Spoon out the mushrooms and serve them with the salmon over rice. Very nice. Looks a little like beef burgundy when you serve it up, but tastes like beautifully poached fish. Perfect with a glass of red wine.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Wow. I'm salivating. Very different method of preparing salmon, which I'm always on the look out for. Still enjoying your blog very much, even tho I don't comment much!

Tess Knadler said...

Thanks, Lori. Hope you're having a great vacation!

asimonne said...

Theresa,

When you said you like to cook...I had no idea what your definition of "cooking" was. The food looks incredible. Your blog is fantastic and may inspire me to try a bit harder in the kitchen.

The photography is great as well. Your blog will now become one of my favorite stops on the web.

Ann W. (yesterday's lunch guest)

Tess Knadler said...

Thanks, Ann. There's nothing to it, really!