Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Good use of leftovers: Ham, beans and rice

Spiral cut hams were on sale at the grocery store this weekend, so I brought one home. It's always tough to find a ham just the right size for two, so I picked out the smallest one I could find, baked it for supper, and then designated the leftovers for sandwiches and a big pot of red beans and rice.

Yesterday before work, I threw the hambone and generous portions of meat into my slow cooker with a pound of dry red beans (I'd soaked these overnight), a large diced yellow onion, four cloves minced garlic, three 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes and 2 cans chicken broth. I added about three tablespoons chili powder and a bay leaf. I set the heat to low. Six hours later, when I came home for lunch, I stirred everything up, added a large diced red pepper, a whole stalk of celery (which I discarded before serving) and about a cup of "Jasmati" rice. (Any rice would do-- it serves to thicken things up nicely.) By suppertime, this was wonderful. And it'll be wonderful for supper again tonight, and maybe tomorrow.

No comments: