Sunday, December 2, 2007

Calf's liver: More delicious than you think

Liver. Most people turn up their noses at the thought. I never prepare this dish, because Dave is one of those liver eschewers. But I like liver. One of my favorite dinners as a kid was calf's liver with bacon and onions; my mother chose calf's liver because she was not a fan of liver, but my dad liked it, and calf's liver is somewhat milder than other varieties.

I've been feeling a little weary this week, a little stressed, a little light-headed. So I started popping multivitamins, and thought a dose of iron-rich liver might help pep me up. Tonight that's what I cooked for dinner.

I found calf's liver in the frozen food section at my grocery store. Here's how I prepared it: I dredged the liver pieces in flour, dipped them into a beaten egg, and then coated with Panko bread crumbs. Then I fried in hot oil in a skillet over medium high heat for about four minutes a side. I topped with bacon and fried onions. And even Dave had some; he said it tasted better than he expected. (I considered that high praise!)

No comments: