Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sort of from scratch: Eagle Brand cookie kit

As I was shoppping for groceries this weekend to fill a basket for a holiday food drive, I found myself checking out some mixes in the baking aisle. I found a kit that wasn't so much a mix as a box of pre-measured ingredients to make "Magic Cookie Bars."

I remember as a kid making these treats with chocolate chips, coconut, nuts, a graham cracker crust and sweetened condensed milk. So I bought a couple of these kits, one for my food basket and one to try out myself. The kit included a packet of graham cracker crumbs to mix with butter to make a crust, and individually wrapped packets of chopped walnuts, sweet coconut, chocolate and butterscotch chips and foil-sealed packets of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. Obviously, these were pretty easy cookies to put together. And they turned out exactly like what I used to make as a kid.

The price seemed a little steep to me-- around $5 for enough ingredients to fill an 8-by-8-inch baking pan. But if you're in the market for quick holiday baking that doesn't involve measuring anything, you might want to try a box.

No comments: