Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Holiday calls for cranberry-walnut muffins

We have kids arriving tomorrow from Virginia, California, and Pittsburgh for the holiday. I love that they'll be here all weekend, and I'm filling up the house with food before they get here.

I have ham and beans cooking in the slow cooker now, and I just baked up some cranberry-walnut muffins. The kitchen smells so good. For the muffins, I added grated orange peel to the batter, and then stirred in chopped cranberries and chopped walnuts. When the muffins were still warm, I brushed them with butter and dipped them into granulated sugar. I'll freeze them when they cool and pull them out to thaw Thanksgiving morning to serve for breakfast. I can also throw some of these into a basket with dinner rolls when it's time for turkey dinner.

For best results when making muffins, grease and flour your muffin pans, rather than using paper liners.

Cranberry-walnut muffins

2 cups white all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
10 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 and 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1-1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, finely diced in the food processor
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Shortening and flour for the muffin pans

Heat oven to 375 degrees (350 convection). Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda in medium bowl. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in half of dry ingredients. Beat in one-third of the yogurt. Add orange peel. Beat in remaining dry ingredients in two batches, alternating with yogurt, until incorporated. Stir in cranberries and walnuts.

Grease muffin pans and dust with flour. Divide batter among cups. Bake until muffins are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes (20 or so if using convection). Cool muffins in pan five minutes. Remove muffins from pan to cool on wire rack. Brush with melted butter and roll each muffin in granulated sugar to coat the top.

7 comments:

Lori said...

Delicious! Have a great visit with your family and a very happy Thanksgiving!

Chris said...

Those sound magnificent! Enjoy your time with the your kids.

Amy D. said...

Yesterday I bought blueberries to try your blueberry muffin recipe (to take to my in-laws). Now I wish I'd would have bought cranberries, too! Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for sharing so many wonderful tips and recipes.

Tess Knadler said...

Amy, everyone will love the blueberry muffins,too! It's the same basic recipe -- a good basis for lots of variations! Happy Thanksgiving!

Heather rules said...

I love to cook, but do not bake. I may have to attempt these muffins though. They looked wonderful!!!

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the muffin recipe and tips. Can you share your ham and beans recipe with us?

Tess Knadler said...

Click on the link on this post where the words "ham and beans" are highlighted and you'll find the recipe. If you have trouble with that, let me know. Last night, I didn't add celery, and I used 1/4 cup regular white rice instead of jasmati rice. We had it for supper tonight and it was pretty tasty!