Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bake ziti with pesto, spinach and sausage

Wichita boasts more than its share of good restaurants, but it's hard to find authentic Italian cuisine here, unless I cook it myself. I miss the great Italian food we enjoyed when we lived in Philly, but I have to say I do OK when I cook basic Italian at home. My mom gave me a copy of The Sopranos Family Cookbook some time back, and it's an entertaining resource that features some really good recipes. And one of my favorite Italian recipes comes from Epicurious.com; it's for baked ziti with pesto, spinach and sausage.

I've made this dish a couple of times for big parties and even more often for smaller get-togethers (most recently last Sunday). The only change I make to the Epicurious directions is using sweet Italian sausage instead of hot. This casserole is like mac and cheese with a whole lot of other excellent stuff thrown in. It's a nice company supper when served with a green salad and crusty bread. (Oh, and here's an important rule I live by: Only buy parmesan cheese by the chunk and grate a fresh supply whenever it's needed.)

No comments: