Friday, September 5, 2008

Sweet potato slices offer guilt-free carbs

In my book, a near-perfect side dish is a grilled sweet potato topped with a quick sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Dave noted tonight we've pretty much sworn off bread, we rarely have rice or potatoes or pasta with dinner. We're eating lean meats, lots of veggies and no desserts unless we're hanging with friends. But one source of carbs I enjoy without remorse is a sweet potato.

Tonight I sliced a couple of sweet potatoes into thin rounds, brushed with a little olive oil, and wrapped them in foil. I split the slices between two separate pieces of foil, and then sealed those up tight. Dave grilled them over medium heat with boneless pork chops and skewered red peppers. They were perfect in about 20 minutes.

3 comments:

Lori said...

wow, your diet sounds exactly like our diet. perhaps we should dine more together! (also find it funny that we're the exact same age... i'm pretty sure that has something to do with this kick.)
anyway, we almost never eat bread and rarely have starch with our meals anymore. lots of fish, too. trying to ease red meat out, but that's hard.

Anonymous said...

I was on a 3 week no carb diet end of last year and lost about 4 kg. I had no bread, noodles, cereal, desserts, artificial and natural sugar, fresh fruits was also excluded. I found the 1st week the hardest and breakfast meals was just as bad. I didn't no sweet potato is not in the carb family.

Tess Knadler said...

It's in the carb family all right, but provides healthy carbs compared to refined sugar, white flour, etc.