Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fruit crisp: Peaches on one end, rhubarb on the other

It's the perfect time to buy peaches. Stock up. That ain't the case for much of the year, but right now, Colorado peaches at the grocery store are juicy and perfectly ripe. I made a dessert today using a variation on my favorite easy recipe for fruit crisp. To prepare four cups of peeled, sliced peaches for this dessert, I added three tablespoons sugar and two tablespoons of flour. I used an 11-by-15-inch baking dish, and spread the peach mixture on one half. At the other end of the baking dish, I spread 4 cups of rhubarb mixed with a cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of flour. I topped all this fruit with a double recipe of sugar-cookie crumb crust. Here's how to make the topping: With a pastry cutter, combine 4 tablespoons butter, 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar. Add two teaspoons baking powder and 2 eggs. Stir 'til mixture is nice, crumbly texture. Sprinkle evenly to cover fruit. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yummy! what a delicious combination. your pics look great as well.

Anonymous said...

I found you on foodbuzz and am enjoying your site. The peach crisp looks fabby. It's almost cool enough in Austin to think about baking again...next month!