Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Making dinner at lunchtime: Chicken marinade

I do a lot of cooking over the noon hour when I'm home from the office. I'll throw something in the slow cooker, or get something soaking in marinade for easy grilling at the end of the day.

I love, love, love the 75th anniversary edition of The Joy of Cooking. Buy it. It's got page after page of recipes for sauces and marinades and anything you want. It's not the same dog-eared copy of "Joy of Cooking" I've owned since I was in college, though it does have a lot of the recipes I love the best from that book ("Fudge Pie," on page 686, has been a favorite of mine for decades. It is really a torte, almost flourless, exquisite, especially topped with homemade chocolate sauce and raspberries.)

But I digress. I enjoy a certain self-righteousness when I mix up my own marinade rather than using a bottle of store-bought. So for dinner tonight, we're having chicken breasts that are soaking now in my variation (I didn't have fresh herbs on hand) of the Joy of Cooking's "Becker Chicken Marinade," page 585:

Chicken Marinade

Whisk together 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup red wine, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 4 pressed garlic cloves, juice of 1/2 a lemon, a little bit of grated lemon zest and 3 dashes hot pepper sauce.

Put into a freezer bag, and throw in four skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Seal and refrigerate. Bake or grill when the workday is over.

No comments: