Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Gee, but it's great to be back home

One thing I love about living in Wichita, Kansas, is my seven-minute commute to and from work. I think this city of nearly half a million has more roadway per capita than anyplace else I've lived (including Philadelphia, Kansas City and Seattle). I'm very appreciative that it takes no time to drive from one end of this city to the other.

Especially at lunchtime. Nearly every day, unless I have a meeting scheduled, I'm able to be home for lunch. This allows some blissful quiet time and I tend to eat better (lighter, that is) than I would if I were eating out (no fries on the menu here, for example.) On the days when I'm living right, I eat a high-protein breakfast (and when I'm really living right, this comes after a 6 a.m. treadmill session at the Y), a light lunch and then I can enjoy pretty much whatever I want for dinner.

Today's lunch was last night's leftover salmon on a bed of spinach, cherry tomatoes and carrots, and a thin slice of my homemade bread. Here's a tip: Wish Bone has new "salad spritzer" dressing in various flavors that (according to the label) cost you just one calorie per squirt. And it's pretty tasty, at least the 10 spritzes of teriyaki flavor I sprayed on my salad,

OK. That's it for now. Time to go back to work.

No comments: