Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Moving to a new rhythm as autumn hits

I'm going through an off phase, food-wise. I haven't made it to the farmers' market in a couple of weeks, and I notice that my approach to produce is different when I shop primarily at the grocery store. My grocery store has a wonderful produce department, but for some reason, I don't experience the same level of delight at stocking up there as I do when I buy what I need from the back of a farmers' truck. And now, I think in terms of utility, not so much adventure, as I plan a week's worth of menus. And actually, I find myself doing a lot less menu planning lately.

As I've noted before, I'm feeling busier now that summer is over (and let's face it, it's over after Labor Day.) At work, this is when we plan for a new fiscal year, so I'm poring over spreadsheets, incessantly punching buttons on my calculator, printing out budget projections. And with summer over, my datebook is filling up with meetings and lunches that were impossible to schedule during everybody's vacation season. And choir practice has started on Wednesday nights at church. Who has time to cook?

I'm determined not to let my effort in the kitchen slide, but for the most part lately, it's sliding. Last night Dave grilled farmers' market pork chops that were delightful. I contributed nothing more than egg noodles and steamed broccoli, nothing fancy. Tonight I picked up Chinese take-out on my way home-- Singapore rice noodles, mixed vegetables, rice and steamed dumplings. Tomorrow? Hey, I won't be home for dinner tomorrow.

What I need to do is get into an autumn cooking groove that is as rewarding as my summer cooking groove. New ingredients. A new pace. Different kind of planning. More slow-cooker meals, more stir-fry (that isn't take-out!), more oven-baked fare as we begin to grill less. I'll get there. I'm just not there yet.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Hey, you're going to France in two weeks, don't sweat it. Do not cook out of guilt! You'll be into the winter mode of cooking when you return.

Chris said...

I love your blog, Theresa. It makes me want to cook up a storm in my own kitchen. I have started making my own breads (in a bread machine) and that's kick-starting my cooking gene. Thanks for the great pictures of wonderful food!