Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bake excellent, healthy fries in olive oil

We grilled burgers tonight, and served them with tomatoes on slices of the wheat bread I made yesterday. Nothing fancy, but pretty good. And we had fries. Healthy "fries" I baked in the oven with olive oil, using a technique my sister taught me a few years back.

I cut up three red-skinned potatoes into long, thick pieces. I threw these into a bowl with 2 tablespoons olive oil and stirred to coat the potatoes. I placed the potatoes on a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with foil, and sprinkled with salt. I baked at 450 for about 20 minutes, flipping potatoes after 10 minutes. (The convection oven worked beautifully for this, but a standard oven can do the job, also at that temperature. Be sure to turn the potatoes with a spatula about half way through cooking time.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some people think they have to give up french fries but this can be a good alternative