Saturday, January 5, 2008

Corn chowder is perfect January supper

The other day I ordered corn chowder for lunch, and got to thinking I gotta cook up some of this. So today that's what I did. I didn't crack open a cookbook; I just kind of threw this together. It's yummy. It'll make a perfect wintertime supper with the fresh wheat rolls I made this morning and a green salad.

Corn chowder

1 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound frozen corn
2 15-ounce cans creamed corn
5 unpeeled white or red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers
2 15-ounce cans chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half
6 jalapeno slices (from a jar)

In a heavy soup pot, cook bacon until cooked but not crisp. Spoon off excess fat from the pot. Add onion pieces. Cook over medium heat until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to boil and cook for 15 minutes. Add creamed corn, red pepper, green chiles, jalapeno slices and frozen corn. Cook 20-25 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, simmer on low until ready to serve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious. I enjoyed a cup of corn chowder at Soleil last week, and it was yummy. But I fear it was a much heavier recipe than your concoction. I'm pleased to see that you used half-and-half rather than heavy cream and that it still tasted great. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

This sounded so good that I went home last night and made soup. Mine was potato with creamed corn and smoked sausage. I used half and half and chicken broth. It made so much that I brought it to work to share today.

Tess Knadler said...

Peggy, that sounds so good. I bet everyone at work was delighted.