Saturday, September 8, 2007

Calming influence: Fettucine with sausage

I found myself suffering a bit of anxiety this afternoon, and I wondered if it wasn't because I haven't spent any time in my kitchen all week. My schedule has been so busy, with meetings after work, after-work gym time, and also several work-related get-togethers at various restaurants. Wichita has dandy restaurants, so that was fun in its way, but I like to cook. And I think to feel grounded, I actually need to cook.

My hectic schedule spilled over even into my weekend. After a breakfast meeting with a job candidate this morning and then lunch at a pizza joint with two friends, I really didn't need anything more to eat today. And I hadn't made time to shop for groceries. But at dinnertime, I felt the urge to chop some garlic and onions, stir up some tomatoes, steam some vegetables. So I thawed some sausage in the microwave and cooked that with sauce to serve with fettucine and fresh broccoli.

I'm full. I'm calm. I feel better.

Pasta with sausage and tomato sauce

1 pound Italian sausages
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 sweet onion, finely diced
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 15-ounce cans tomato sauce
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
16 ounces fettucine
Freshly grated parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, brown garlic in olive oil. Add sausage, cook until nicely browned. Add onion. Cook over medium heat 'til onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, wine and sugar. Let simmer 45 minutes to an hour. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Top with sausage and sauce. Top with parmesan.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Yucky week. We missed your blog.